« Back to people
- Room 210, Fraser Noble Building
- +44(0)1224 272807
Raffaello Secchi (RS) joined the ERG in January 2008. He is a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Aberdeen. During these years his research was founded by industry related projects (Astrium Ltd), the European Space Agency (ESA-HLS, Satnex) and EC projects (RITE). He contributed to the definition of a Quality of Service (QoS) framework for Satellite Return Channel communications in the DVB-RCS standardisation group and to the definition of new congestion control protocol for IP networks at the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
He is currently involved in EC founded RITE project. RITE is seeking to understand the causes of Internet latency at different layers and define strategies to reduce the impact of delay and its collateral damages. In particular, RS is trying to improve the TCP congestion control characteristics that impact delay on traffic profiles, such as web traffic and video streaming.
- Methods and Models of Congestion Control in Heterogeneous Packet-Switched Networks, University of Pisa, Dipartimento di Ingegneria della Informazione, ING-INF 03 – XVIII ciclo
- G. Fairhurst, R. Secchi, and A. Yun. A flexible QoS for DVB-RCS2. Intl. Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, DOI:10.1002/SAT, 2013.
- I. Biswas, A. Sathiaseelan, R. Secchi, and G. Fairhurst. Analysing TCP for Bursty Traffic, Intl. Journal on Communications, Network and System Science, Vol 3, No. 7, pp. 585-592, Jul. 2010.
- N. Celandroni, and R. Secchi. Suitability of DAMA and Contention-Based Satellite Access Schemes for TCP Traffic in Mobile DVB-RCS. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 58, No. 4, pp. 1836-1845, Apr 2009.
- R. Secchi, A. Sathiaseelan, F. Potortì, A. Gotta, and G. Fairhurst. Using Quick-Start to enhance TCP Friendly Rate Control performance in bidirectional satellite networks. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 141-161, May-June 2009.
- T. De Cola, L. Ronga, T. Pecorella, P. Barsocchi, S. Chessa, E. Ferro, A. Gotta, G. Oligeri, F. Potortì, R. Secchi, A. Sathiaseelan, M. Á. Vázquez Castro, J. A. del Peral Rosado, C. Caini, and R. Firrincieli. Communications and networking over satellites: SatNEx experimental activities and testbeds. International Journal of Satellite Communications and Networking, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 1-33, January-February 2009.
- R. Secchi, P. Barsocchi, F. Davoli. “Linear-quadratic control of Service Rate allocation in a satellite network”, IET Communications, Vol. 4, No. 13, pp. 1580-1593, Sept. 2010.
- R. Secchi, M. Collina, A. Vanelli-Coralli, C. Caini, and G. E. Corazza, Latency Analysis of Real-Time Web Protocols over a Satellite Link, to appear in ICSSC.
- Z. Hossain, A. Sathiaseelan, R. Secchi, G. Fairhurst, “Flexible QoS Support in DVB-RCS2″, In proc. of Intl Conf on Personal Satellite Services (PSATS), June 2013, Tolouse.
- A. Y. Tambuwal, R. Secchi, and G. Fairhurst, Comparison of Methods for Accelerating the Response Time of TCP Sessions over Long Delay Paths, Proc. of IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC’13), pp, Jul 2013, Split.
- R. Secchi, A. Sathiaseelan, and G. Fairhurst, “Evaluating web traffic performance over DVB-RCS2″, In proc. of PSATS 2012, Mar 2012, Bradford (UK).
- A. Y. Tambuwal, R. Secchi, and G. Fairhurst, System Design for 2nd Generation DVB-RCS RA-DAMA Integration, Intl Conf. on Satellite and Space Communication, Waset ICSSC 2012, Rome (Italy).
- A. Sathiseelan, R. Secchi, G. Fairhurst, and I. Biswas, ACM Conext 2012 Capacity Sharing Workshop, Appeared in Capacity Sharing Workshop of ACM CoNEXT 2012, [online], Dec 2012, Nice (France).
- A. Tambuwal, R. Secchi, and G. Fairhurst. “Exploration of Random Access in DVB-RCS”, in proc. of PGNET 2011, Apr. 2011, Liverpool (UK).
- R. Secchi, N. Ewald, and G. Fairhurst. “OAM technique based on ULE for DVB-S/S2 transmission systems”, in proc. of ICST PSATS 2011, paper 8, Feb. 2011, Malaga (Spain).
- R. Secchi, A. Sathiaseelan, and G. Fairhurst, “Scheduling TCP-Friendly Flows over a Satellite Network”,in proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop on Satellite and Space Communications (IWSSC), ISBN: 978-1-4244-1947-0, pp. 155-159, October 2008, Tolouse (France)
- R. Secchi, N. Celandroni, F. Davoli, E. Ferro, and A. Gotta, “Towards a Complete Control Framework for Adaptive Capacity Allocation in Mobile DVB-RCS”, in proc. of IEEE 13th Ka and Broadband Communication Conference, pp. 607-613, September 2007, Torino (Italy)
- R. Secchi, B. Bonito, and A. Gotta, “Advanced satellite infrastructures in future global Grid computing: network solutions to compensate delivery delay”, in proceedings of Instrumenting the Grid, no. 8, (CD-ROM proc.), 16th-18th April 2007, Santa Margherita Ligure (Italy)
- R. Secchi, F. Potortì, and A. Gotta, “An Analysis of TCP Startup over an Experimental DVB-RCS Platform”, in proc. of Satellite and Space Communications 2006 (IWSSC), pp. 176-180, Sept. 2006, Madrid (Spain)
- R. Secchi, A. Gotta, and F. Potortì, “Simulating Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation on Satellite Links”, in proceedings of ACM International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (Valuetools), WNS2 workshop, ISBN:1-59593-508-8, October 2006, Pisa (Italy)
- S. Giordano, M. Pagano, G. Procissi, and R. Secchi. “A Simple Markovian Model of TCP Startup Behavior”, EuroNgi Workshop on QoS and Traffic Control, December 7th, Parigi 2005, online publication (http://perso.rd.francetelecom.fr/roberts/EuroNGIQoS/program.html),
- R. Secchi, S Giordano, M. Pagano, F Russo, “Modeling TCP Startup Performance”, Transactions of the XXV International Seminar on Stability Problems for Stochastic Models, pp. 138-145, 20th-24th September 2005, Maiory (Italy)
- R. Secchi, D. Adami, C. Callegari, S. Giordano, and F. Mustacchio, “Teaching Experiences with E-Learning Network Infrastructures”, in proc. of IEEE Computer Society 2005 Advanced Industrial on Telecommunications, Service Assurance with Partial and Intermittent Resources and E-Learning on Telecommunications (AICT/SAPIR/ELETE 2005), pp. 510-515, ISBN: 0-7695-2388-9, 17th-22nd July 2005, Lisbon (Portugal)
- D. Adami, S. Giordano, M. Pagano, and R. Secchi, “Modeling the Behavior of a DVB-RCS Network: an Empirical Validation”, in proc. 3rd International Working Conference of Performance Modelling and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Networks (HET-NETs 2005), pp. 55/1-55/8, 18th-20th July 2005, ISBN: 0-99540151-6-9, Ilkley (UK)
- R. Secchi, N. Bonelli, S. Giordano, and G. Procissi, “BRUTE: A High Performance and Extensible Traffic Generator” In proc. of International Symposium on Performance Evaluation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems (SPECTS), pp.839-845, ISBN: 1-56555-300-4, 24th-28th July 2005; Cherry Hill (USA)
- R. Secchi, S. Giordano, G. Procissi, and F. Russo, “On the Use of Pipesize Estimators to Improve TCP Transient Behavior”, in proc. of IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 1, pp. 16-20, ISBN: 0-7803-8938-7, 16th-20th May 2005, Seoul (Korea)
- R. Secchi, D. Adami, S. Giordano, and M. Pagano, “Optimization of Scheduling Algorithm Parameters in a Diffserv Environment”, in proc. of 2005 IEEE/IPSJ Symposium on Applications and the Internet (SAINT 2005), pp. 276-279, ISBN: 0-7695-2263-7, Trento (Italy), 31 January – 4 February 2005
- R. Secchi, and M. Pagano, “A Survey on TCP Performance Evaluation and Modeling”, in proc. 2nd International Working Conference of Performance Modelling and Evaluation of Heterogeneous Networks (HET-NETs 2004), pp. 7/1- 7/20, ISBN: 0-99540151-6-9, Ilkley (UK), 26th – 28th July 2004
- R. Secchi, S. Giordano, M. Pagano, G. Procissi. “Bandwidth Estimation for TCP sources and its Application”, in proceeding for Quality of Service in Multiservice IP Networks (QoS IP 2003), pag. 247-260, ISBN: 3-540-00604-4, Milano (Italy), February 2003
- M. Pagano, and R.Secchi. “An Introduction to modelling and performance evaluation for TCP networks”, Network Performance Engineering, LNCS 5233, pp. 571-593, 2011.
- Grid Enabled Remote Instrumentation. Series: Signals and Communication Technology, Davoli, F.; Meyer, N.; Pugliese, R.; Zappatore, S. (Eds.), 2009, X, 590 p. 197 illus., Hardcover, ISBN: 978-0-387-09662-9